Monday, January 28, 2013

Project Run and Play sew along - Week #4


I have been super excited about this weeks theme. As soon as I saw what the theme was, I knew I had the perfect fabric for it. 


Of course I had this awesome idea for what I wanted to do. My inspiration for the skirt is from Matilda Jane.


I love the pockets and the overall look. Even though I know it isn't a circle skirt, I wanted to have it be a circle skirt, so I used Dana's Circle Skirt pattern as a starting point and added ruffles and pockets.


For the shirt, I absolutely LOVE Gap's embellished shirts and have been wanting to make one for the longest time. Of course I used "Love is in the air" for my saying. I first used some Freezer Stencil's for some of the letters. Then decided which would be fabric appliques, buttons, sequins and embroidered. I also decided to add an "envelope" pocket for any and all love letters. I love how it turned out!


Here's some other close ups of it:



So this lovely shirt was washed and although I did prewash the fabric, it still shrank! When we put it on Aevs, It barely went past her belly button and definitely was a belly shirt whenever she tried to move. The bad thing was, no more blue knit......I looked at what I had to try and go with it and saw that I had an old dusky pink tank top in my stash. So I kind of tried to make it look like a double layer. It just really wasn't working though, and that's when the huge ric-rac came in. Besides my apprehension, my daughter really wanted it and hey, if she loves it that's all that really matters! So here is the complete shirt. Her favorite part is the little butterfly at the bottom. lol


I really really wish weather was better, but the last 2 days there was TONS of fog everywhere and last night it started snowing. Yay for such lovely weather! That doesn't make for awesome light for pictures, but here's a bunch we took. You can tell my daughter was in a very silly mood too and not one that was very cooperative..... :D










So overall, I love it. I do have a boy post too, but for now check out all the other awesome talent and ideas at Project Run and Play!

16 comments:

  1. I saw that Giant RicRac at Joanns the other day. I think you found the perfect use for it!The whole thing turned out great! I love all of the appliques and embelishments on the shirt, and that fabric for the skirt is really neat!
    Great job Momma!
    with love,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! When I saw that fabric at Joanns I just had to get it. Even though on my return to the car my husband gave that little sigh of, "Knew you would end up getting more than what you planned." :D

      Delete
  2. Glad to see you made it! It's so nice to have other bloggers sewing along that I can get doubly excited about seeing their work. Way fun! My daughter just walked by the screen as I was looking at the details on the shirt and she said "whooa." simply put by a four year old! so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this!! Very creative and just darling!!

    http://stacysewsandschools.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many creative things you did with the lettering on that top!! EXCELLENT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know that lettering takes a great deal of time to do well.. And this looks great.
    Deborah
    Http://sewmuchtogive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you make a lot of gorgeous stuff!
    I love that shirt with all those details!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That shirt is ***awesome***. So, if, say, someone were going to try to attempt a shirt like that, um exactly how much time should one budget? Looks like it took forever! But so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Thank you! That's a little hard to say since I did it in shifts. After I figured out how I wanted it, it probably took me about 2-3 hours for all the embellishments, not including time for the paint to dry. I let it sit overnight before starting with all the stitching after painting. :D

      Delete
  8. I LOVE that shirt! Great save - I never would have known you didn't plan it that way. Excellent job on the whole outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for all the sweet comments! I love reading them! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. That outfit is too cute!! The fabric is PERFECT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job on the embellishment! That shirt is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How did I miss this one?! I love it, especially all of the details on the shirt and that you took a mishap and made it work! Such a great look!

    ReplyDelete