Monday, March 4, 2013

Spring Fever Dress Remix


I'm going to be completely honest, I was totally stumped with this remix at first. It could have been because last week was one of those "psycho-crazy-wanna-pull-your-hair-out and make strait-jackets for the kids" type of week. Or because that dress is just amazing as is. I was really struggling coming up with anything and was thinking of just not joining in. It was of course right when I said "bag it" and started a different project (making bows) that a couple of ideas suddenly hit me and I had to drop what I was doing and start making my remix's.My biggest problem was that I really didn't want to make another dress. My girls have TONS of dresses. Don't ask me why I had it in my mind that it just had to be a dress, but when it hit me that I could make something other than a dress, a lightbulb went off and I got started. 

I chose to make a shirt and skirt - brilliant, I know!



I did use the actual pattern, but I modified it quite a bit. For starters, my oldest girl is in size 7/8, so I had to resize the pattern and make it bigger and since it was being turned into a shirt - longer. I also decided to put the bib on the front and turn it into a flutter-tank. Since it was made out of knit, I didn't need the buttons to open on the front, so I created a pleat and made a little bow out of the same material.


For the skirt I used the Layered Skirt Tutorial by Dana Made It. Except I modified it and had it be 4 layers, in reference to the layers on the original Spring Fever Dress. I absolutely love how it turned out. The best part is, my little girl loves it too! :D








Stay tuned for my boy remix! 

12 comments:

  1. We all have spring fever here and are supposed to get more snow tonight :) I like how this turned out. I'm not sure if I'm going to remix this time either. I love the pattern and get really excited for remixing, but have so much on my plate that I may not get a chance. I'm glad you did :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yes, I am DYING for the warm weather to come and stay. It's been nice the last couple of days, but another storm is supposed to move in tomorrow and Friday. Boo.

      Delete
  2. Really nice you did a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The top and skirt were a great idea!! This looks like such a comfortable and fun outfit! I love the pretty floral fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The fabric is so soft. I got plenty of it since it was on sale. I have more projects planned for it. :D

      Delete
  4. WHAAA? You made a boys AND a girls for the remix? Seriously, your a robot right? (i'm going to keep telling myself that you are, k?) Well, this one is so pretty. I love the tiered skirt and the floral fabric you picked out is so awesome. Where did you buy it at?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I'm just super lucky that my kids go to bed at 7pm and that I have an awesome husband that will pick up and do dishes when I want to sew. :D I got the fabric at Walmart. All of it, actually. We do have a fabric shop in town, but they only sell quilting fabric, so unless I drive 1.5 hours, Walmart is my only other option on fabric. I seriously bought the whole bolt of that knit fabric!

      Delete
  5. You can't go wrong with ruffles. A sweet little outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the ruffles! Floral prints are huge this season, I love the way you used that print here. Thank you for linking up!

    ReplyDelete